Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Kite flying, beaches, scenic views and more...



Last weekend I made a trip to Point Beach with some of my crew. The fall colors were at peak and the weather was in the seventies. People were out playing at the beach, flying kites, swimming, and as you can barely see above...playing bocce ball in the parking lot!!!!




Some of the crew drinking brews and heading off into the freezing water.



We were surprised to see kites flying in the skies...



Flying Kites for Peace was going on that weekend...



and someone was flying the Jolly Roger!!!! I wish I had brought ours.



A family reeling in their kite for the day.



Lake view of Point Beach State Forest Lodge.



Wooden bridge leading to recreation area.



A couple enjoying the view and the warm fall day.



More kites flying in the distance.



Path leading to the beach.



All in all a great day for a road trip to the beach!!
I hope you enjoyed the warm weather last weekend too!

Thanks for landing on the Island!

13 comments:

Lotus said...

Jack, thanks for the pics. It is gorgeous there! Does the lodge actually take guests? And, if so, what is the cost and is there a long waiting list?

Robbi said...

Super pictures Jack!!!!
It looked like a great day for flying the kites!!.
The trees are really pretty..
Thank's for sharing that awesome looking place..

Blaznfire911 said...

Awww great pics! Makes me want to go on vacation again...a REAL vacation!

Blaznfire911 said...

PS- I have a HUGE Pirate Kite that I have NEVER flown. It's still in the box

*Hangs head in shame*

Maybe someday we can all go kite flying together...to tell you the truth...i don't even know how to fly one. i know....it's sad isn't it.

I am telling you though....this kite is ginormous!!!! I saw it in a little shop up in Door County, and I couldn't resisit it!!! It's Massive! There's just no where around here to fly it. :(

-Sir Jack said...

Thanks Lotus! No, the lodge is just a gathering place...has a little snack bar, a big fireplace, old hand made picnic tables & benches inside.

If you want to stay overnight, you'd have to bring a tent or a trailer. There are cottages and guest houses along the way to the state park that you can rent! Some people stay in Two Rivers and drive up to the park for the day! I recommend The Village Inn in Two Rivers!

-Sir Jack said...

Well, thank you Robbi. I'm glad you liked it. Point Beach is a great place to fly kites...lots of wind!!

-Sir Jack said...

Thanks Blazn'!
A REAL vacation Blazn'? Ahh, you mean one where you can relax and enjoy the scenery. Right??

You have a HUGE pirate kite!! Massive, never flown, wow! So sad! I saw a huge pirate ship kite, never used, at a garage sale last month. I passed on it because it was soooo big. It would have been in tangles in no time flat up at Point Beach-IMHO. Some of those that are that big, take two people to launch it into the air!!! LOL

shakenbsis said...

Makes me think of kite flying on the Bay in San Diego outside my favorite book/coffee shop 'The Upstart Crow'

Though the scenery is nothing in comparison to Point Beach!

I'm a day late and a dollar short, getting caught up on the blogs, FINALLY!

Lotus said...

"I'm a day late and a dollar short..." It's the economy Shakes! Ha!

Thanks for the info, Jack. I may have to go and check it out!

-Sir Jack said...

Shakes, San Diego Bay is scenic-IMO!! Especially with the sunsets! Glad you liked the pix & thanks for taking a break in your BUSY schedule to visit the Island!

-Sir Jack said...

YW, Lotus, I suggest that you don't make plans for the colder months though...it gets pretty cold & windy on the lakefront!

Blaznfire911 said...

Well then...I know exactly who I can enlist to help me fly my kite!!

Jack??? COme on you know you want to!

-Sir Jack said...

LOL, Vix, maybe next spring...