Saturday, July 5, 2008

Al Capone's Hideout Tour

Welcome to the Hideout Tour!
This one's a long one...I hope you have
something to sip on while we take the tour...
are you ready?




On the road to the Hideout we saw a black

bear crossing the road...he stopped near the sign
and looked back at us. What a poser!




Here's some info just in case you plan on
making the trek up north...




As you enter the property, you see this beautiful stone
building...The Hideaway!




The craftsmanship is amazing...
too bad no photos were
allowed inside.




This is a shot of the restaurant/cocktail lounge.
It used to be the garage where they hid the cars.
Notice the stone again...that was the outside of
the
old garage building. We were told that Capone had guards
up on the roof at all times when he was on the property.




Supposedly, this is a jail that was used for other
gangsters they would kidnap from
rival gangs...




The jail was quite cramped.




Ok, back to the house...




This is the entry side faced the lake, the door is
behind this section...we went inside.
Sorry, no pix allowed. I'd love to elaborate on the
inside...but I think you should take the tour
for yourself!!!




These steps lead up to the kitchen.
Beautiful gardens...
Al had class!




This is the door on the ground floor facing
the lake. It was used by his
"underlings"
& guards.




A pathway from the house leads to these steps and down
to the lake area. Capone used seaplanes to fly in booze from
Canada...the lake was a great resource on the grounds.
They also
cut ice from the frozed lake for refrigeration.




Caretakers cottage...one of Capone's was always
on the
grounds to oversee the Hideout year 'round.




Al used German Shepards to patrol the grounds
at night when he was on site.
This is their
little "cottage."




Capone used to do a little farming up here and had farm
animals too. The building to the right is a museum...with
an old time general store and a display of the St. Valentine's
Massacre. A funny note about our tour that day...
There was a woman who brought her children with her for the
tour. The kids were about 3, 7 and maybe 11. When the
tour guide announced that "this" (St. Val's) was his favorite
part of the tour...OMG, the reaction from this woman...
she covered her little girl's eyes and held her protectively.
What was this woman expecting when she took her kids to
Al Capone's Hideout? Unicorns and rainbows? Think!




This is the bunk house for Capone's underlings.
More garage space to hide their cars too.




Al's garden...he liked to putter in the veggie
garden...multifaceted gangster he was!




Outside shot of the main garage that was turned into the
lounge & gift shop.




This is a patio area near the entrance of the
Hideaway. It used to have a covering for shade.
Nice place for BBQs & hooch!

Thanks for coming on the tour!
I hope you enjoyed it!!


21 comments:

Lotus said...

Glad you survived last night, Sir Jack! Loved the tour...for some reason I thought the main lodge would be bigger. Since Al was a good sized guy! You directed so well, now I really want to go see the inside! Thanks!

-Sir Jack said...

I see you survived too Lotus! Glad you loved the tour. The inside was quite impressive...the woodwork, fireplace...detail all nice love.
You should go see!

Lotus said...

I plan on it, Jack. It's at the top of my To Do list, along with a stop at Little Bohemia!

calypso said...

Hello survivors! Nice tour Jack!
You two have a great Saturday!!

Blaznfire911 said...

YAY!!! I have been waiting for this for like a week now!!!

I just LOVED it up there. So much history, and interesting facts I didn't know about Capone.

I still think that there are "hidden" items in that lake! You never know.

Capone's hide out was MAGNIFICENT inside. I agree Jack...people need to see this place for themselves when they go up there.

I am glad I mentioned this to you, and that you took the time to go. Although you prob would have found it without help from me LOL

I just thought that since you were up there, then you should go and take a look. It is a very well kept secret, and I want to go back up so badly!

Vix

Lotus said...

Hey, Blazn, it appears that I am chasing YOU around tonight! LOL

Lotus said...

Where is Sir Jack? Out building his little hidden cabin? Hummmm.

-Sir Jack said...

Lotus, Osh, Vix...you have mail!

-Sir Jack said...

Blazn---I'm glad you liked the tour today love! Thanks for telling me about it...it was really cool!!

Lotus said...

Sir Jack, how is the search for The Mother-O-Pearl going? I haven't seen a chinstrap in sight, not since you stopped at H&H in Wausau! Did you interogate THAT guy and find out what he knew about yer ship?

Lotus said...

Jack, aren't you playing tonight? Minxie has some more awesome pictures up!

-Sir Jack said...

Hi Lotus...I'm fixin' up the cabin love...

Lotus said...

OMG! Can my friend come too?

Anonymous said...

Sir,
Good Evening! Great blog!

Mate, nearly a forthnight ago you were asked your favorite restaurant. I googled it that night and thought I'd like to take Mrs. Who's there...I forgot the name of the place. Help!!!

Thanks mate...passes a case o'rum fer yer privot island stash, in payment for information.

-Sir Jack said...

Hi there Whoosy! Thanks for the rum!! Le Ttoile mate!

www.letoile-restaurant.com/

I have a blog coming up from my vacation...it has photos of something that you and your little who's will love!

Anonymous said...

Thanks mate!

Me wife an' I been together for 20 years this Wedensday and I thought a little "french" was just what was called fer. This place seems to "fit the bill".

Them Who'ses on the bus will be gone until the 8th but they'll check the blog when they get back. (There are still a couple of Who'ses that didn't go on the trip...they keep popping up whenever they think I forget them)

Thanks again for the info!

Can I come to your cabin?

-Sir Jack said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
-Sir Jack said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
-Sir Jack said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
shakenbsis said...

Thansk for the tour Sir! very nice...

Hi Who's - long time no see!